Fiji Moms, Dads, and Sons
Mary McCarty Parent’s Club of Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI)
Our International Fraternity has established Mary McCarty Mothers’ Clubs at many of our chapters (we have taken the liberty to call ours a “parents” club). The club is named after the wife of one of the founding members of Phi Gamma Delta and was created for parents to be a part of their son’s fraternity experience.
The Parent’s Club supports your sons by:
1. Supplying supplemental food during Spring/Fall Final Exams when the men are up late studying.
2. Helping fund Chapter House Improvement Projects such as, new living room and library furniture, improving the library and study room educational spaces, the dining room, and the recreation room. In the past, this was often done as a joint effort with the House Corporation. When you visit you will notice that our FIJI chapter house is one of the nicest on campus, thanks to many graduate brothers who have generously contributed after their college days.
3. Actively supplying support and help to the men in planning and conducting activities on Parent’s Weekend in the fall semester such as, holding a “Casino Night’” philanthropic fundraiser. The proceeds went to ‘The Beauty Foundation’ – a non-profit organization that aids families facing cancer treatment expenses that are not covered by insurance.
4. In the past, the chapter also hosted a Mom or Dad Weekend (alternates each year) during the spring semester.
5. And any other activities parents can arrange with their sons and fraternity members to foster the relationship of parents and their son’s fraternity.
The chapter needs a few parent volunteers to lead the club. At a minimum, one parent from Tucson and one from Phoenix would be sufficient. But the more parents that are involved, the better. We can always use your help! It is not a time-consuming task, and it offers a way to be involved in your son’s college experience.
The Graduate Brother who oversees the Parent’s Club is the Chapter Advisor that we call our “Purple Legionnaire”---Trevor Lohr who graduated in 2020 (his mother served as a co-head of the club in his senior year).
If you are interested in helping with the Parents’ club, please contact Trevor via email or 520-456-6741
Feel free to contact him if you have any questions.
We need your help to have a viable Mary McCarty Club.