Fiji Moms, Dads, and Sons
Mary McCarty Parent’s Club of Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI)
Greetings to the parents whose sons are new members of the University of Arizona’s Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) Colony.
The national Mary McCarty Parent’s Club is named after the wife of one of the founding members of Phi Gamma Delta and was created for parents to be a part of their son’s fraternity experience. Two parents have volunteered to coordinate the emails, fund raising and activities. But, the more parents that are involved, the better. We can always use your help!
The Parent’s Club has been able to support the men of FIJI by:
- Providing lunches and dinners during Spring/Fall Final Exams (there is no cook nor are there house meals during finals)
- Helping fund Chapter House Improvement Projects – new living room and library furniture, the pledge library educational space and the recreation room were improved, all composite and historical photographs presently hanging in the house have been framed and most recently, in a joint effort with the House Corporation, new chairs were purchased for the dining room. Our FIJI chapter house is one of the nicest on campus! Although it is currently leased to the University, it will shortly return to the our control as we own the property/land and it will once again become the chapter house.
- Actively providing support and assistance to the men in planning and conducting activities on Parent’s Weekend in the fall semester. Our last one was a ‘Casino Night’ philanthropic fundraiser. The proceeds went to ‘The Beauty Foundation’ – a non-profit organization that assists families facing cancer treatment expenses that are not covered by insurance.
- In the past we have also held a Mom or Dad’s Weekend (alternates each year) during the spring semester.
- Any other activities the parent’s can arrange with their sons and fraternity members.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions and we will do our best to answer. We obtain our information from the FIJI members, with the help of the chapter advisor, so ‘bear’ with us as we share the information we are given, and always plan for ‘flexibility.’
1820 W. Moonshadow Street
Oro Valley, AZ 85737
6569 Calle de la Mango
Hereford, AZ 86615